Alice in Wonderland by Lisa Mitchell

Monday Tuesday Wednesday...I love you

My Etsy Store...please come and visit

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Tales of Beatrix Potter??




When I 'stumbled' across this little item,
I was shocked and strangely delighted.
The cutesness cannot be denied
...but there IS some ghoulish strangeness to it all.
Even so, bearing in mind the era in which it was created 1835-1918

I do still love it.


Bunnies School Room

Click on the video below to take a whimsical vintage look into Mr. Potter’s Museum of Curiosities, a (now closed and dismantled) English taxidermy museum, in this circa 1965 film made by British Pathe. Revel in the magic of anthropomorphic taxidermied animals that eccentric curator Walter Potter dressed up and staged in various scenes.




Various taxidermy scenes are shown including the kittens’ wedding, the squirrels’ club, kittens’ tea party, bunnies’ school room, all accurate down to the tiniest details. We also see Potter’s famous “Who Killed Cock Robin” tableau which took seven years to complete. Children admire the tableaux and a young woman sketches.



Narrator states: “Walter Potter … was a genius who made fur-lined dolls into whimsical but veritable works of poetic art.” Wonderful or disgusting depending on your viewpoint…


The Kitten's Tea Party


The Kitten's Wedding

I personally think that it was a little sad that this collection was sold and dismantled in 2003, now no longer able to be viewed by the public, and no longer a complete collection.







"The Death and Burial of Cock Robin"
was the highest-selling item of the sale,
raising £23,500 pounds.




Just a quick reminder,
that I now share a blog with my wonderful daughter, Jillian,
called Lilliput Loft.
We would LOVE you to see our latest creations that have been keeping us busy...and perhaps become a follower!!

Bye, till next time!




2 comments:

  1. Wow. I first looked at these "dolls" and thought, OMG, this is all kinds of cute. But like you, I immediately wondered if I should be enjoying it. I'm drawn to the cute, but feel weird about how it was created. Unique to say the least.
    Unique find indeed.
    Ruben

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS!!!!!! I LOVE IT and I see my beloved came before me...I HAVE TO RUN DEAREST...I am late in getting to school but this is just up my ally with all these rabbits and creatures!!! Anita

    ReplyDelete

Beautiful

Dreaming of a new bedroom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Something whimsical from Cart before the horse...thanks Dylan and Jo